Several months ago, we posted a blog entitled What to Pack Last. Today’s post is the corollary. You’ve decided to start the daunting task of packing and you’re standing in your house wondering where to begin. Here are a few suggestions to get you started…
- Storage Items. Your belongings in storage should be one of the first things you pack when moving. This will be easy, as they are most likely already in boxes. Just make sure the boxes are well labelled.
- Out-of-season clothes. You can pack hanging items in our wardrobe boxes. Some people like packing clothes in bed sheets or rolling clothes tightly and backing them in boxes. Make use of your suitcases and pack them full of clothes.
- Fine China. Chances are, you won’t be hosting a fancy dinner party amid the packing process, so emptying your china cabinet ahead of time makes sense. Some of our clients prefer to have us pack their fragile dishes so bring that up with your Relocation Consultant if that interests you.
- Decorative Pieces. We’re talking ornaments, mementos, Christmas decorations, etc.
- Extra Linens and Towels. While you’re packing your ornaments, why not use your towels to act as packing paper?
- Books. Remember to use small boxes to pack books so individual boxes don’t get too heavy.
Tackling this list early will give you a feeling of accomplishment and reduce your stress as moving day approaches.